Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    <Infinity> Forum Index -> Recruitment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drovolon

re: App: Drovolon

BASIC CHARACTER INFORMATION/HISTORY:

1. a. BattleTag: Drovolon#1274

b. Character Name: Drovolon

2. Class: Shaman

3. Current Server: Garona

4. Primary Raiding Spec (if you have a raid-viable off-spec, let us know): Restoration

5. Give us a link to your armory while logged out in PvE equipment: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/garona/drovolon

6. What raiding experience did you have in Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD and more recently in the current expansion?

Legion: 9/11M Antorus, 8/9M ToS (sadly), 10/10M Nighthold (Cutting Edge), 3/3M ToV (Cutting Edge - attained *during* NH), 7/7M EN (Cutting Edge)

I have no relevant raiding experience in WoW previously.

In Wildstar, I cleared all of Genetic Archives and killed System Daemons in Datascape, but no farther.

7. What guilds were you previously in? Under what circumstances did you leave? DETAILS ARE IMPORTANT.

At the end of WoD - during the Legion prepatch - I applied to my current guild, Twilight Circus. I managed to work my way onto the progression roster for Legion and I've participated in all of our progression, such as it was, during Legion, from the very first H Nythendra kill and on.

Twilight Circus (TC) is about as casual as you can get and still clear Mythic content. My understanding is that, in previous expansions, TC rarely cleared the current raid tier. Instead, TC would "go back" during the next (now-current) raid tier, when appropriate, and clean up the bosses in the unfinished raid tier. I'm not assigning a value judgment to this: whether this is silly or not largely depends on priorities, in my opinion. But, nonetheless, this was the mode of operation for TC.

In Legion, this did not much matter for a long while. Improvements in the raid team (especially the healing corps, I've been told) meant that we were actually getting Cutting Edge in current content, so there was no need to return to older content. (Helya was something of an exception, but Cutting Edge for that extended until ToS anyway.)

However, ToS was a stressful tier for us, and we ended up at KJ with only a few weeks to spare until Antorus. We looked up guilds who had killed it recently and compared their progression time on KJ with the time remaining in the tier. I don't remember the specifics at this point, but it was something like "3 weeks (with our raid times) probably needed to kill KJ" and "3 weeks left until Antorus." We decided giving the raid time a break between tiers was probably more important than pushing until the very last second and hoping we'd get Cutting Edge. (We had given KJ a couple weeks of progression already, so we felt like we had pretty good data to make that decision.)

In Antorus, we kept clearing bosses, but KJ was always kept open as a possibility, just like the guild had done in previous expansions. Our raid lead extended the raid lockout every week. Finally, we killed Coven. At this point we had already been considering Aggramar and the possibility of going back to KJ: going back didn't make sense before Aggramar - every boss was pretty straightforward until him - and it probably wasn't going to happen after we killed Argus. So, the raid lead opened the floor to discussion one night after a Coven re-kill and the team voted 15 to KJ, 1 undecided, and 4 to go to Aggramar.

We followed up with all four that voted no to get their opinions in more detail. Three of them would prefer not to spend time on old content and let it be, but were willing to go along with the team's decision. One insisted that he did not want to participate in old content. A gentleman's agreement was made: we would only use him at the uttermost end of need.

We spent six hours (two raid nights) on KJ. At the end of the second night, we had a 12% wipe. Many of us felt it was essentially going to die in the next raid night. On the next reset, we went back to do Antorus farm. At the incessant urging of an unhappy officer - the one who was previously undecided - we decided to do a strawpoll to check how the group was feeling about KJ. It was 13 for KJ, 6 for Aggramar, 2 who didn't vote. At this point, the previous fellow with whom we'd made the gentleman's agreement declared publicly, in raid chat, that if we spent one more night not working on Aggramar that he would quit the team.

We did end up going to Aggramar that night, but over the next couple days, that conversation (and breaking the integrity of the guild) did not sit well with a few people, our raid lead (and guild master) included. At the beginning of the next raid night, the team had a... conversation. Between people being burned out and simply wanting things to be over, the GM/RL no longer having the willpower to move forward, and folks that were unhappy about us probably not killing Argus a second time (even if we killed him once), the raid team essentially disbanded.

So, that is the story of Twilight Circus's raiding in Legion. I'm now looking for a new raiding guild, but this time with a few modifications: First, I'd like a *far* more progressed guild (e.g., you), because frankly I want to clear the tiers much faster and with less friction (especially on bosses like Maiden/Kin'gorath - those were the bane of TC's existence). Second, I'd like raid times a little more amenable my schedule. TC's were 9pm-12am central time, whereas yours are 7pm-10pm central time, which work far better for me.

I will freely admit I am also looking for a guild in which I can finish Legion's current content, which means I'm hoping whatever guild I join will let me participate in an Aggramar/Argus kill sometime before BFA launches. However, my primary motivation is finding a new home in BFA. Once I join a guild, I don't like to leave it.

---

In Wildstar, I was a Medic DPS in World Last / Diplomacy / Primacy (Primacy merged into Diplomacy for the start of Datascape 40 mans, then split off again as "World Last", but it contained the same core group of people). Never know when I'll run into someone from one of those guilds.

Finally, I was in IRS on Ahazi and Infinitus Vox on Ahazi in SWG. I'm always hoping I'll run into an old guildie from one of them in another game, but I know the chances are basically zero. Still, I mention them on every app hoping. :-)

INFINITY REQUIREMENTS CHECK:

8. Our standard raid schedule is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8PM ET to 11PM ET. If you are unable to maintain 90% raid attendance please inform us. Excessive absences and/or being late will result in loss of spot and/or removal from guild. Discord, a Microphone, and a Boss Mod are required in Infinity raids. Understood?

Yes:

- Time slot works better for me than my current guild
- Days are what I'm looking for; I work a typical office job
- I'm also fine with the Sunday timeslot for new mythic content (mentioned in your wowprogress blurb) -- TC raided Sundays anyway
- I have 100% attendance in Legion so far (excluding one planned, known-ahead-of-time vacation and holidays)
- I use BigWigs, have Discord, and judiciously use my mic (some people prefer to answer in raid chat or whatever; I prefer voice)

Part of respecting other people is respecting their time. I'm fine with tardiness and absences that are due to emergencies and genuine concerns, naturally, but otherwise we've got ~25 people who are investing a significant portion of their daily lives here; let's make it as frictionless as possible.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

9. If possible, please link your detailed rankings from Warcraftlogs.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/10031229/17#metric=hps

10. Please provide a screenshot of your UI in a raid environment.

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/lvnvuf0.jpg

But I can do one better and give an actual PoV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg3yf1kx5F4

That channel also has PoVs from me of every kill since Chronomatic Anomaly (except Goroth, I believe). I've improved a lot over the expansion, though, I think.

11. Please describe a "recent" raid boss that demonstrates how you exceed the requirements of your current role (DPS/Healing/Tanking). This may involve using a special spec, a non-standard rotation, or non-standard gear/glyphs.

As far as in-raid performance goes, I'm not sure there are many situations where a resto shaman would be using a special spec or an odd healing setup other than the usual stuff: different damage patterns lead to different spell selection, some fights' strategies may have specific talent requirements (our strategy on Imonar had me dropping Ankh Totem on the bridge for our DPS DH for example).

I did force myself to learn how to play with Ascendance (instead of High Tide) properly for bosses like Coven and Aggramar. However, Asc instead of HT isn't an unusual choice for rshams in late Antorus; I viewed it just as part of playing the spec properly.

For Coven, I did use Earthgrab pretty effectively during progress (though on the kill it didn't really end up mattering much, as you can see in the PoV linked above). As it turns out, we had a druid who wasn't mass-entangling the correct spot for several prog nights. Funny enough, another ele shaman and I simply were handling it naturally via earthgrabs/earthbinds.

As far as out-of-raid performance goes, I stepped into the role of healing officer after Trilliax. In Legion, I was involved in planning the fight strategy (including but not limited to healing CDs) for every fight after Skorpyron in NH. I started using GitHub's gists to disseminate fight planning info to the raid team (really just the other raid officers, but they were always posted publicly for anyone on the raid team to read), which you can see here: https://gist.github.com/Drovolon

Some specific examples:

Coven: https://gist.github.com/Drovolon/502c31ea8b2fed64c00e213be161b739
Eonar (reverse-engineered what Pho did to kill it): https://gist.github.com/Drovolon/f29eef5652805fccd85bafd39bdadbd8
Krosus: https://gist.github.com/Drovolon/622dee1960508150a007037e6cacb47d

Speaking of Krosus, we had a holy paladin who was chronically underperforming in EN/part of NH. I ended up mentoring him (watched some PoV footage from him, walked through his spell selection, etc.) and he ended up being a pillar of our healing corps instead of being "flagpolled" by other healers. I realize, of course, that healing meters are not often that useful, but I think when a healer is consistently flagpolled by the others across several fights, there's something wrong. The Krosus fight prep (as you can see) specifically went looking for logs without hpals to see if it was even feasible for us...

As a raid officer, I participated in all the other officer-y tasks: loot council, roster decisions, recruitment interviews, handling interpersonal conflicts in the raid team, deciding what farm to cut when, etc.

For TC, at world rank ~800-~1300 (depending on where in the tier we were), we had the benefit of a variety of kill logs already existing. For a guild of your caliber, I can imagine the situation is much tougher. Still, I'm absolutely willing to do what's necessary to plan ahead for boss kills. A lot of our raiders did not do much fight prep; I was not one of those (as I was one of the folks who _needed_ to do research!).

PERSONAL RESPONSES:

12. Age: 24

13. Gender: Male

14. How did you hear about Infinity?

I used wowprogress's filters to find alliance guilds who needed resto shamans, and then I looked through those to submit a few apps. (I have some friends from college who play alliance, so I'd like to faction swap to alliance if possible.)

15. Why do you wish to join Infinity and what convinces you that you would be a good addition to Infinity? What sets you apart?

I've already answered this partially above, but I'm happy to say a little more.

A guild's application says volumes about it. Your application has the sorts of questions I want my own guild to ask before admitting people. Funny enough, TC - despite not having a great world ranking - has a fairly thorough application, which appealed to me a great deal in WoD. Like you, we always made it a point to ask explicitly about the circumstances surrounding a person's leaving a guild. I also like Question 11 a lot, although I'm not sure I have the best answer for it.

The "family/friend-like" atmosphere is of critical importance to me. TC is foremost a guild of friends, and that's why it's endured for as long as it has (since WOTLK). In fact, every raider in TC falls into one of two camps:

- They're transferring their main char to another guild, but intend on leaving alts behind and will maybe participate in the BFA TC on those alts (which will probably be a 1-night/week heroic guild)
- Without TC, they're simply not raiding anymore

There isn't anyone who has simply fully quit TC yet. I don't doubt some will: even I might, given time. Still, this is the sort of atmosphere I'm hoping for. It's hard to find. I don't know that Infinity has it or that any guild I'm applying to will. That's not a dealbreaker, necessarily, but that's what I'm hoping for. That's why your application (and wowprogress blurb) matter to me.

As I said above, I'm looking for a home in BFA. Given your schedule, your progression, and what I've inferred about your guild through what little information I have, I think Infinity could be that home.

Why would I be a good addition to Infinity? Well, I think I have the ability to perform at the level required to raid with you. I still feel rusty compared to my old Wildstar days, but I've shaken a lot of the rust off, and I think starting out on an equal footing with everyone in BFA will do me well, if you're willing to put up with me here at the end of Legion.

I also think that my commitment to the success of the team, my willingness to contribute outside of raid whenever possible, and my loyalty to the group of people I'm spending ~10+ hours of my life with every week are all values you're looking for.

I'm not convinced these things "set me apart" necessarily. Undoubtedly you have a lot of great folks, and your players are on the whole probably simply better. Maybe all of these things set me apart from other applicants, though. /shrug

16. This is an old guild with a family/friend-like atmosphere. It is important that we get to know you, so tell us a little about yourself.

I'm 24 years old. I work as a software engineer / devops engineer / support engineer / (insert favorite IT prof. here) engineer at a small company near Nashville, TN. We have about 40 employees, so I wear a lot of hats. I'm one of the folks responsible for a site with 99.999%+ availability over the last 5 years, so if you need some hardcore infrastructure support, I'm your guy. I have a B.Sc. in Computer Science & Mathematics. As of right now, I don't have much interest in going back to school for any higher degrees.

My company has this core value of "assume the best intentions in people" (one of the reasons I applied to it, actually). I try to carry that same value throughout my life outside of work. Sure, there are malicious people and bad people all around, probably, but frankly I've found life to be a lot more pleasant if I think the guy who flipped me off is a good person having a bad day. Personally, I think this sort of attitude is a key part of maintaining healthy relationships with friends and family. It makes it much easier to forgive. That may sound sappy, and it is, but apps like this are a chance to be sappy, I think.

Leaving the sappiness behind, my primary hobby is gaming, of course. I actually don't like PVP-style games very much (partially because their communities rub me the wrong way sometimes), which rules out many online games, especially shooters and mobas. I much prefer to compete against teammates to complete a common goal rather than competing directly against other players. Other hobbies are cars (largely, just admiring them - I let my roommate do the wrenching), ping pong (at work), Magic: the Gathering (mostly with coworkers; I'm a Timmy, if that means anything to y'all), and, to some extent, hi-fi audio (though I subscribe to the Hydrogen Audio school of thought).

I do apparently have a Southern accent. It's not as strong as a lot of people around here, though.

Well, I think that's about the gist of it. I look forward to hearing back from you. As expected, I'm more than happy to jump into Discord to answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Awsumpossum

Normally I try to seek out something in an application to make a mockery, but I enjoyed reading this one.  The ability to formulate a coherent thought is underrated.  

I didn't scrutinize every log, but is there a reason you're using Tarratus Keystone over something else?  The trinket is situationally useful at best and shitty most of the time.

Drovolon

Yeah, I was pretty skeptical of that trinket too. The resto sham community's theorycrafting spreadsheet ( https://ancestralguidance.com/splashystats/ ) suggested that the 970 keystone was marginally better than my 945 highfather's (and I didn't have any other trinkets anywhere near either of those), and I was willing to go along with it, since I (roughly) prefer intellect over mastery. 

I had also read that Highfather's heal applies before damage is taken, which ends up making it overheal more than you might think initially. This is accounted for in the theorycrafting spreadsheet, though (which assumes highfather's overheal is 20% and the keystone's is 30% on average).

Chazzwozzer
Officer

Trial granted.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    <Infinity> Forum Index -> Recruitment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum