Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    <Infinity> Forum Index -> Recruitment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocksucks

re: Nocksucks - Brewmaster Monk

BASIC CHARACTER INFORMATION/HISTORY:

1. a. BattleTag: Yanggura#1897

1. b. Character Name: Nocksucks

2. Class: Monk

3 Current Server: US-Stormreaver

4. a. Primary Raiding Spec (if you have a raid-viable off-spec, let us know): Brewmaster

(Legion Specific)

4. b. Artifact Level for each raid-viable spec? 52

5. Give us a link to your armory while logging out in PvE equipment: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/stormreaver/nocksucks

6. What raiding experience did you have in Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata, MoP, WoD and more recently in the current expansion?

Vanilla:

(Shattered Hand) – Onyxia’s Lair, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Zul’Gurub, Dragons of Nightmare, Abyssal High Council, Ruins of Ahn’Qiraj, Temple of Ahn’Qiraj, Naxxramas (up to The Four Horsemen)

World firsts: Viscidus, Patchwerk, Grobbulus, Thaddius, Gluth

(Korgath) – Naxxramas

World firsts: The Four Horsemen, Sapphiron

Burning Crusade:

(Korgath) – Karazhan, Gruul’s Lair, Magtheridon’s Lair, Serpentshrine Cavern, The Eye, Battle for Mount Hyjal, Black Temple

World firsts: Nightbane, Leotheras the Blind, Fathom-Lord Karathress, Morogrim Tidewalker, The Lurker Below

US firsts: Gruul the Dragonkiller, Magtheridon, Void Reaver, Al’ar, Kael’thas Sunstrider, Rage Winterchill, High Warlord, Naj’entus, Supremus, Gurtogg Bloodboil, Shade of Akama, Teron Gorefiend, Anetheron, Reliquary of Souls, Mother Shahraz, Azgalor, Archimonde, Illidari Council, Illidan Stormrage

Wrath of the Lich King:

[Cannot remember the name] (Skullcrusher) – Naxxramas, Obsidian Sanctum, Eye of Eternity

Cataclysm:

(Stormreaver) – Bastion of Twilight, Throne of Four Winds, Blackwing Descent, Firelands

Legion:

(Stormreaver) – Emerald Nightmare, Trial of Valor, The Nighthold

7. What guilds were you previously in? Under what circumstances did you leave? DETAILS ARE IMPORTANT.

– on 1 July 2007 I reported to the United States Naval Academy for Indoctrination Day as a Midshipman (the first day for incoming freshman in Navy).  I was entering Plebe Summer, which is essentially boot camp for the Naval Academy, and I was not allowed to use any type of media until I finished my freshman (plebe) year.  This was the day after our Illidan kill and honestly, I thought I was done WoW forever, especially leaving on an extremely high note and moving on to a very different stage in my life.  The guild was undergoing some issues at the time as well and disbanded less than a year later for a couple of reasons that were really starting to rear their ugly head at the time.  The US vs. Europe competition between DnT and Nihilum was the reason a lot of played the game and what kept us going at that level for so long.  The community was fantastic and that always played a huge part in the community that it created.  However, we had not beaten Nihilum on a kill since SSC and it was causing a lot of turmoil amongst members of the guild to work so hard yet not feel like we could reach our ultimate goal.  When I came back to playing a year later, I reached out to some of the people that I used to play with (having been at a complete disconnect for a year due to the inability to play computer games for my freshman year due to a Naval Academy indoctrination rule) and found that the guild had disbanded for those reasons amongst a greater one, which was that one of our players, who was married to another player in the guild, ended up sleeping with another player in the guild and it just exacerbated all of the problems.  Although DnT has repeatedly come back in many forms, it has never been what it was and there were so many cliques that had formed that it truly created a hostile atmosphere overall.

[Cannot remember the name] – The guild I was in in Wrath of the Lich King was a guild that made up mostly of my real-life friends at the Naval Academy.  I do not remember the name as we did nothing noteworthy and only raided in the time our schedules allowed.  We were only able to play during the school year as our summers were consumed with time aboard ships or training in the field.

– After I graduated from the Naval Academy, I got my masters at the University of Pennsylvania and was drawn back to play again.  I knew no one in my program going in and most of the people in the program did not speak English as their native language and thus it was quite difficult to make any friends.  I got lucky and found a guild that needed a tank bad enough to take someone that hadn’t played for real in a long time.  I played through Firelands and then had to leave due to checking into the Marine Corps Infantry Officer Course and then subsequently spending time in billets where I did two deployments.

– After my deployments and a long respite from WoW, I transferred military assignments to be in DC, where I am currently.  It is a non-deployable billet that is essentially a civilian job.  I started to get the itch to play a lot of video games again, played League of Legends for two seasons and then came back to WoW when Legion launched.  I reached back out to my old guild and found that they had merged under a new name.  I joined them and decided to raid on a more consistent basis again.  However, there was significant officer turnover in Trial of Valor and the new officers, to my liking, wanted to push content better through a better roster.  The goals of the guild changed and some people became disenfranchised and quit.  I was asked to help out the officers and only through sheer force of will from one officer did we make it through Mythic Nighthold.  After killing Gul’dan, that specific officer is burnt out and the guild is in the process of imploding due to lack of direction and overall leadership.  The past two months have been pulling teeth to keep the guild together and I have just realized that it (a) will not stay together, (b) will not continue to Mythic raid, or (c) will raid with the status quo, which truly is an apathetic environment towards any type of progression.  There is too much of a focus on loot and very little on actually killing new bosses.  I can elaborate more if you would like but there is a wall of text here already.

INFINITY REQUIREMENTS CHECK:

8. Times: Tues/Wed/Thurs 3 hour raids start @ 8pm Server Time to 11pm Server Time. It is in your best interest to maintain 90% attendance in order to maintain a regular raiding spot. If you are unable to maintain 90% raid attendance please inform us. Excessive absences and/or being late will result in loss of spot and/or removal from guild. Understood? 

Understood. These are very similar times to my current guild and I have only missed one raid day since Legion launched and was able to give more than a month warning in advance.  I must say that, if accepted, I would miss Wenesday, 31 May, due a commitment I cannot change.

b. The looting in Infinity is done through a Loot Council based on a number of factors such as attendance, performance, attitude, size of upgrade, etc. Understood? 

Understood.  I have never been in a guild that has not used loot council based on factors that contribute to the best overall benefit of the raid or other reasons that the officer deem necessary.

9. Discord, a Microphone, and a Boss Mod are required in Infinity raids. Would you download/purchase these if accepted?

I currently use a HyperX KHX-H3CL/WR Cloud Gaming Headset but if insufficient, would be willing to buy a new one.  I currently use Mumble but have used Discord in the past.  For Boss Mods, I currently use DBM with modifications to the default settings but would willing to switch to Big Wigs if necessary.  I also use Weak Auras and usually write my own.

10. Do you play on a stable Internet connection? A DC here and there is tolerable, but constant disconnecting makes you a liability. Please provide us with a http://www.speedtest.net result to a Chicago server (where Mannoroth is housed).

Yes, I play on a stable connection and here is my Chicago server Speed Test: http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6297339953

I do travel and play in hotels but I have never had a ping above 100ms and I currently play on a CST server.

11. Computer Setup, please provide us with your basic computer information: processor speed, amount of memory, and graphics card.

I play on an Alienware 15.

CPU: i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked to 4.1GHz)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5

RAM: 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz

Hard disk: I play WoW on a 128GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD; everything else (besides boot) is on a 1B 7200 RPM

KNOWLEDGE OF CLASS / PLAYSTYLE:

12. *IMPORTANT* Please provide us with a screenshot or two of your UI in a recent combat RAID environment (a link is fine). Do you have any hidden keybinds?

UI Screenshot (can provide more if necessary): 

http://imgur.com/a/zAOhU

13. If possible, please provide us with a recent parse of your performance in a raid setting.

7.2 Overall Info: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/20594077/11#metric=dps

All of my logs are public if you want to look individually at them.  Note: With one of the updates for the uploader, I could not log for a week or two. (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/137386)

For each Nighthold fight I have the following roles currently:

-Skorpyron: Skorpyron tank.

-Chronomatic Anomaly: Basic tank swapping but I always go to add side that Skopyron is not on.

-Trilliax: Generic strategy.

-Spellblade Aluriel: Generic strategy.  I take the first Fel Soul and we tank swap from there.

-Krosus: Generic strategy.

-Tichondrius: I tank all of the adds.

-Star Auger: Generic strategy.

-Botanist: Generic strategy (kill order: Naturalist, Arcanist, Solarist) except in Phase 3, I run with ranged that have Call/Collapse of Night and have little to no uptime on the boss.

-Elisande: I take all of the Ablative Explosions and soak for all four orbs in Phase 2.  In Phase 3, I soak orbs and interrupt adds on my way to/from soaking orbs.

-Gul’dan: I take all of the Empowered Bonds and soak the 100 energy Fel Scythe at the beginning of Phase 2.  I soak souls in Phase 2.  In phase 3 I tank all of the Azzinoth adds and take all of the Flame Crashes.  I also CC the first add in the burn phase.

14. a. Can you tell us the stat weights you use for gear, gems, and enchants for your character?

I keep around 16% haste (but have a haste set) and try to keep around 20% crit and 30% mastery while weighting versatility the heaviest after the aforementioned conditions are met.  This will probably change in 7.2.5 but I need to do more testing to see what haste will be required for comfortable brew generation with the new cap on Ironskin Brew.

14. b. What legendaries do you have? Which ones do you use for different situations?

I currently do not have Brewmaster’s BiS legendary: Sal’salabim’s Lost Tunic.  I also do not have the boots (but they are currently outpaced significantly by the bracers, which serve a similar but better function).  I rerolled a monk in ToV due to Protection Warrior changes.  I will have all legendaries before the opening of Tomb of Sargeras barring extremely poor luck.

Generally, I use the bracers/Archimonde’s Hatred Reborn and Gai Plin’s Soothing Sash for Mythic+ and most raid bosses.  If I do not need brew generation, then I will swap out the bracers (less relevant content).  If I do not need the extra healing, then I will swap out the belt.  Other legendaries I frequently use are Jewel of the Lost Abbey, generally when I do not need a lot of brews but take significant spikes of damage (my role on Gul’dan is an example).  If I am tanking a lot of adds that need to die quickly, Archimonde’s Hatred Reborn is beneficial due to the shield as well as the extra damage I can deal in a short amount of time (as long as the shield pops).  I use the Zen Med helm on Elisande due to the amount of time I spend away from healers and the slow bubble with Ablative Explosion and can easily run/roll through Spanning Singularity or use it if I have the extra damage taken debuff during orb soaks.

14. c. What is your standard rotation for your current role (DPS/Healing/Tanking)?

Generally, I use Exploding Keg pre-pull (due to travel time) or when there is a group of adds or it comes off cooldown and it is a single target fight.  My “rotation” is priority based with the Blackout Combo talent with Keg Smash > Blackout Strike > Breath of Fire > Tiger Palm (if more than ~50 energy).  Currently, Ironskin Brew is almost all of my brews and stacking it to multiple minutes and keeping 100% uptime is easy.  Obviously, there are time when I need to double purify (100 energy Fel Scythes, Tichondrius adds when moving behind pillars, etc.) where I will always have the brews to do so through prior proper planning.  I generally always save one brew when actively tanking for Purify and do so when healers need a reprieve or when I spike above an appropriate level of Stagger for that fight/who I am tanking.  It is generally a feel thing that is easily done after a couple pulls.  Brewmasters only have two internal cooldowns, one of which is generally really weak: Zen Mediation.  I use Zen Med for things like Helya’s breath where I know I won’t be melee’d but can mitigate the damage or if I am using the head legendary, for parts where I will take significant damage and need to move while not by healers (Elisande when I am away from the group and have to go through a Spanning Singularity).  I use Fortifying Brew during periods where I know I will take heavy damage.  I use it during raids almost always preemptively as cooldowns are generally planned out, but it can also be used somewhat reactively due to extra health it provides.

14. d. What resources (websites, addons, etc.) do you use to best optimize your choices above?

In terms rotation, I visit all of the popular websites (Icy Veins, WoW Head, etc.) to see what the general community census is and try to use that as a baseline for various testing that I conduct myself.  The monk community (to include the Discord, of which I am a part), at least for Brewmaster, is pretty weak.  It is a very under represented class and there are very few people that I would recommend people listen to when it comes to Brewmaster tanking.  In terms of my own addons, Weak Auras is the most flexible and powerful addon for a priority “rotation” as well as priority events that happen during a fight.

15. Please describe a "recent" raid boss that really demonstrates how you have gone above and beyond your current role (DPS/Healing/Tanking). This may involve using a special spec, a non-standard rotation, or non-standard gear/glyphs. If possible, link us a parse of you doing this.

I really don’t have a very specific example of this as I see tanking as a role that needs to flexible to fulfill the roles of each specific fight.  When I was asked to be a person that can stand with ranged during their Call/Collapse of Night (Collapse of Night is the name of the empowered Call of Night, I think, and why I have referred to it twice as that), even though I knew I wasn’t going to do any DPS during that phase and thought that it was unnecessary, I did it because I knew it would help the raid progress to a kill, and it did.  Another example is during Gul’dan during Phase 3.  We had a CC rotation but for several reasons DPS hit a Demon Hunter’s Imprison, and it could not be recast for 15 seconds, and our Warlock did not banish so I was forced to kite the Azzinoth adds around the outside of the room for all of Phase 3 during our first kill (you can see the log for my Gul’dan kill from what I linked earlier).  I also mentioned being able move out of the raid and take every Ablative Explosion while also soaking during Elisande.  I also was able to place myself closest to the Blue adds when I knew interrupts would be missed so that I would be the one hit by the stacking damage from the cast including just sitting on one add and attempting to interrupt Recursion with both Spear Hand Strike and Arcane Torrent so that I would take the majority of damage as well as allow DPS to focus on the burn at the end of Phase 3.  Tichondrius is another example as I was able to spec and equip legendaries for dealing with extremely heavy physical damage tanking the adds and I was able to effectively tank the adds and allow for a kill in roughly 13 pulls, which is much faster than we did on any other boss.

PERSONAL RESPONSES:

16. Age: 28

17. Gender: Male

18. How did you hear about Infinity?

I heard about Infinity by searching through WoW Progress for a guild that needs a tank.  I truly enjoy tanking since I switched to it in Cataclysm and my other specs and alts are not quite up to par to be able to apply to a competitive guild.

19. Why do you wish to join Infinity and what convinces you that you would be a good addition to Infinity? What sets you apart? ←Money Question, one-liners here reflect poorly…think about it.

I have a long history of playing WoW and have always come back to the game despite whatever happened in real life for me.  I truly love the game and always have put my best foot forward to whatever was the best option for the guild at the time.  I truly believe in doing what is the best for the group as a whole regardless of how it may affect me.  I have loved playing Legion outside of the raiding environment as well to include Mythic+, World Quests, and Rated Battlegrounds.

I have a Brewmaster that has okay AP for offspecs that I have played in both Mythic+ and Rated Battlegrounds.  I also have a Prot Warrior, a class that I have played for multiple expansions, that I haven’t played too much since the changes in 7.1.5 but happily want to gear and play as a competitive alt and an alternative for progression in the future.  I also have a 110 Mage and a 110 Hunter that I play occasionally and would be happy to play as an alt if necessary.  I truly believe that I can bring whatever the raid and guild need as a whole to better the overall experience for everyone in the guild and am willing to do so.  I am also willing to adapt to the overall guild atmosphere, as long as I am a fit for the guild and the guild is a fit for me, to ensure that the guild is getting the absolute best from me.

I also wholeheartedly believe in a guild that acts like family.  We spend so much time in this game that we oftentimes spend more time with the members than we do with our own family and IRL friends.  That’s not a slight at those of us that like to play the game, more so, it is that those of us we play with are truly our closest friends.  I want to be able to get to truly know each member of the guild because not only are we relying on each other with progression, we are closer to each other than we would often like to admit to people outside of the game.

20. This is an old guild with a family/friend-like atmosphere. It is important to us that we get to know more of who you are then just another player, so tell us a little about yourself. This could very well sell your application to us, so HAVE FUN!

Like I said in the previous question, I wholeheartedly believe in a guild that acts like a family and want to get to know each member of the guild.  I have been married for six years.  I have been an infantry officer in the Marine Corps for roughly the same amount of time and have been in the service for a total of ten years.  I have an undergrad in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering and a Master’s of Science in Engineering with a focus in Robotics.  To me, the relationships in a guild transcend the time you may spend there and I have relationships that I formed a decade ago in Death and Taxes that still are friendships today.

Chazzwozzer
Officer

Hey Nocksucks, thanks for the detailed application.

Do you have any vods of mythic content? Your perspective would be ideal, preferably including voice chat.  If you don't personally stream/record, I would also be interested in vods from a member of your raid team. 

Nocksucks

Unfortunately, I do not stream and I have been having problems with encoding and uploading my Fraps.  However I do have the following:

Here is a stream of some of progress in my current guild, . (At 24:49 in this video, I am saying "Ryan, turn him towards purple..." for reference)

Here are kill videos for my current guild. I am on my Monk (Nocksucks) from Helya forward.  I was a Prot Warrior (Nocksuxii) for kills before that.

Here are some kill videos from back in Cataclysm. I was a Prot Warrior (Nocksux).

Here are some screenshots from back in DnT.  I don't have any personal videos from back then.

Nocksucks

I apologize for just noticing this but surrounding guild names in left and right angle brackets appears to not work with BBCode even though it appeared correctly when I previewed it.. For clarity, I was in Death in Taxes on Shattered Hand and Korgath, Peachy Keen on Stormreaver (Cataclysm) and am currently in a guild called New Hotness.

Chazzwozzer
Officer

Unfortunately we have decided to reject your application. Your application is solid, but we are going to proceed with an in-house option for our second tank position. We greatly appreciate the effort put forth in your application. I trust that you will be able to find a desirable guild based on the strength of your resume.

Thank you for your interest in Infinity, and best of luck in your guild search. 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    <Infinity> Forum Index -> Recruitment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum